Tuesday, November 3, 2009

the LONGest run

When I first starting training for the 10K that is.this.Saturday, I remember reading through the training schedule and getting a tiny bit LOT freaked out.

I wasn't sure I would stick with the training schedule, I might hurt myself, I just wasn't completely confident that while still obese (from a BMI standpoint) that my poor old lady body would handle it. But today was that Tuesday that I have been anticipating for weeks and weeks.

I got all water belted up (it was 75 degrees here today), put my phone and even some PowerBar goo in my belt at Mr. P's insistence (because he is at work and gets nervous that on my very deserted run I could keel right over). I felt both dorky and strong setting out. The first 1/4 mile was really, really hard for some reason. But then I got to Right Round by Flo Rida and things fell into place.

I run away from my house for 3.13 miles, then turn around and chug back. At about a mile out I have to go around a fence that keeps my neighborhood separate from a new development. I gave my future self an imaginary high five, well not really an imaginary high five, I did the motion, but my future self wouldn't return it until about 4 miles later. (yeah, I do that type of thing a lot.)

At the turn around I decided to try the goo:

It was gooey and warm and SWEET and kind of grossed me out. BUT I will admit that my 5th mile was about a minute faster than my other miles, so I think maybe there is something to 'refueling'.

On the way OUT, I saw this guy and was scared of him and excited that I had my phone so I could take his picture, but then I did run in the dead center of the road because there were a bunch of leaves and I didn't want to run into/onto any of his buddies.


With about a mile to go, I high fived my past self at the crossing


and then finished up at 1 hour 26 minutes. I felt amazing. I did it. I completely jogged a 10K on a hilly, hilly course. I felt stoked for Saturday. So stoked I pulled out my confirmation card and in the teensy tinsy print, "The Jolly Buggy will set out after 90 minutes to pick up any slow ass motherfuckers so the rest of us can go home."


Okay, no, it didn't really say it quite that way, but I didn't know there was a time limit, and even though I came in under it today, it makes me much more anxious than I wanted to be...remember the training promise that I would be confident now? Not as much, but I am going to 'taper' and 'carb load' and 'hydrate' so that I do NOT have to get on any mother fucking trolley this Saturday. Mark my words.



17 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. congrats!!

i cant wait to hear about saturday.

Penny said...

I had no idea there was a "Jolly Buggy" I went an dug my card out of my purse to see...Man that is weird..and "Jolly Buggy" just seems so patronizing...

DAVs said...

Congrats--that's a great accomplishment! But I am seriously scared of that snake. Yikes.

And I find the Jolly Buggy kind of funny...like it's all happy to come get you?

Anonymous said...

That is awesome - you rock, girl - kick that 10K to the curb!!

And you will NOT get onto any m-f'n trolley. Mark my words. :o)

Not Your Aunt B said...

That's AWESOME! You can do it! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Lynne said...

So awesome! I love the high fives!
Good luck this weekend - you'll rock the 10K.

Jen L. said...

Woo hoo! Look at you! You have gotten so strong and determined.

Am grossed out by Power Bar goo, but am highly amused by Jolly Buggy. Am freaked out by snake. Saw a roach in my bathroom today and screamed like a little girly girl, so a snake would likely do me in.

Shelley said...

I am so impressed by your running abilities! Although I still crack up at your water belt (but karma and living in Texas will find me wearing one next summer, I'm sure, lol)!

So weird that the race has such a short time limit, but I have no doubt that you will not be taking a ride on the Jolly Buggy. You will do great!!!

266 said...

Hi! I don't remember if I've swung by your blog before or not, but I wanted to pop over and say thanks for commenting on mine! The support that the online community has given to me during this weight loss journey has been substantial and I am always so pleased whenever someone decides to remark on my site. I am so excited for you that you have the 10K coming up in a few days! You will do great... if you pulled it off in under 90 minutes today, you are sure to blow your time out of the water on the actual day of the race. Good luck!

Amy said...

That. is. awesome. You're doing great! And I love your humor about it.

kilax said...

Ooo, Steven and I need to remember to do some high-fives the next time we do an out and back!

Great job on the hilly run! You'll totally make the 90 min cutoff!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Great achievement! Seriously, I loved reading this post.

If it makes you feel better, the path where I run has mile markers. No matter how short or long my run is, I always high five the mile marker when it's time to turn around. And I've seen others do it, too. Know you're not alone!

Anonymous said...

Mom, in the future, please please please don't even get that close to a snake that has markings like that. From the picture it looks like a rattlesnake. can't tell because i can't see the head but the markings suggest that it could be. the fact that it was out in the road, it was probably really pissed and hungry!

-college kid

Anonymous said...

Mom, in the future, please please please don't even get that close to a snake that has markings like that. From the picture it looks like a rattlesnake. can't tell because i can't see the head but the markings suggest that it could be. the fact that it was out in the road, it was probably really pissed and hungry!

-college kid

creative kerfuffle said...

first i love it that you high five your future/past self. i think i just fell more in like w/ you because of that. it's odd.
and, i am so in awe of all you've accomplished. you really, seriously, should write a book. i'll be your editor ; )
the goo though? bleh sounds nasty.

Lucy said...

I think you should be so proud of yourself and I am so excited for Saturday!!

P.S. listen to college kid!

Fatinah said...

man, you make me laugh - can't wait to hear how the race goes!

 
Creative Commons License
TheHotchPotchery by hotchpotchery.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.