Wednesday, September 9, 2009

losing my shiznit

I hate it when my students piss me off to the point I forget how happy I was not 6 hours ago.

Last night Mr. P texted me and asked me out to dinner and a movie...we went to Applebee's where I had a FIVE point salad, which was ehh...but I supplemented with some tasty treats off of his appetizer platter. Then we went to see Julie&Julia, the movie I swore not to see because WHY oh WHY should another blogger get a damn movie when I want a damn movie. I super hearted the movie and felt like a complete shit because both of those women completely struggled to get their stories told, and well, let's be honest here...I haven't done jack worthy of a book, let alone a movie. We topped off our evening with a Lo-Cal Cherry Limeade and an early bedtime.

This morning, I ran at 5:45 where I saw a DEER and a BEAVER out and about. awesome. Ran over 5K and felt all spry. Got showered, packed my breakfast...I am now 'into' the Kashi Proactive cereal because you can have a CUP of it in your yogurt breakfast for the same points as 1/2 cup of Almond Flax nuggets and I am alls about the quantity. I also bought some pre-cut fruit called 'Hawaiian Blend' with mango and pineapple. I trekked to the transit (almost at a month now...getting habitual) and got into work right on time.

THEN, I opened my email and had MANY emails from students claiming to have the hamthrax or other illnesses they do not choose to get diagnosed so as to avoid getting the hamthrax from the clinic. ack. The administration has done everything but tell the students...claim swine flu and we will come to your house, cook you soup and go over the lessons individually with you. I can't say or do anything regarding these "illnesses", so while aggravating, I can deal. It is this one that sent me over the top:

I will not be in class (I really don't feel like it).

See, I have a clause in my syllabus that tells them they are to let me know when they are not coming to class as I expect them every day since it is a graduate class. This student took me very seriously. idiot.

14 comments:

Alice said...

omg, i would have been so tempted to write back something like "funny, you will not be passing the next paper (i really don't feel like grading it)"

rachaelgking said...

I ran three miles today for the first time in, oh, I don't know... YEARS.

Where is my medal?

Penny said...

Oh, I'm going to have to look into the Proactive Kashi...what is it proactive about? pooping?

You saw a beaver...ha ha ha.

Dude. That kid has BALLS. What a douche.

Unknown said...

Wow, I can't believe that student wrote that. I would totally write that on his (or her) final: I can't pass you. (I don't feel like it.)

wafelenbak said...

When I got to the fact it's a graduate level class I about fell of my chair. I felt guilty when I missed a big chunk of grad school with mono that turned into pneumonia! I still went to class as much as I could!!
Hamthrax. *snicker*

Lucy said...

I knew it was going to happen, when the stupid Doctor went on the Today show and told all the kids to stay home if they are sick and have a fever, not that I thought the kids saw it, nope, but all the mommy and daddys saw it and they called their angels and then the schools put out their little 'flyers' and it spread like wild and you know colleg 'kids' ( actually adults but we call them kids) they are MILKING it good!
I feel for you, totally feel for you!!!!

kilax said...

It only takes one little thing to push us over the edge! I hope writing this post about the good things made you feel better.

Have you been trying to turn your blog into a book/movie? I didn't know that! :)

Shelley said...

Dear HP: I was going to leave you a comment, but I really don't feel like it.

Jen L. said...

Good lord, we MUST teach at the same place. This was my morning as well.

creative kerfuffle said...

first--so glad you saw j&j. it was awesome right? love that movie. love it.
second--so happy for you and impressed w/ all of your healthy living. the kids and i walked the dogs after school yesterday. it's a small start. lol
third--srsly, when i was in college (not grad school mind you) i didn't think the profs cared if i was there or not. i rarely skipped class, but still, didn't think they cared.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

And here I thought grad students go to class ... because they WANT to. Otherwise, why pursue a graduate degree in the first place. Maybe I'm the idiot?

Astarte said...

OMG!!!! That person must know the kids in my bio class who literally spent 15 minutes total whining about how haaarrrdddd the class is, and can't she just TELL us what's on the teeeeessst, and will that be on the test? Will this email be on the test? Man, if I was her, I'd count my pubes and put THAT number on the test just to piss them off!!!

Anonymous said...

I am in the same mental place as you... people, stop harshing my healthy buzz!

Sarcastic response e-mails are entirely too tempting.

Not Your Aunt B said...

The hamthrax is killing me. KILLING ME. Wash your hands, wear a effing mask if you have to be that paranoid, and you know what, get over it. Because most people do. Get over it. Sigh. Why did I choose healthcare? Why? And Lord knows I couldn't be a teacher with all the crap you put up with. Must win the lotto.

 
Creative Commons License
TheHotchPotchery by hotchpotchery.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.