Friday, March 26, 2010

I am a WARRIOR. maybe?

After completing the half marathon, we have been trying to decide what is next on our fitness/athletic agenda. We know that eventually our goal is an adventure trip to the Galapagos, where we snorkel, hike, scuba, kayak, ride horses, etc. We think that trip is likely a few years away (it is super pricey), and we have some intermediate goals in between...one of which was the half marathon. (check. and that still feels awesome, by the way.) And another is the Rome marathon in 2012. (yikes, that is less than 2 years away. SCARY.)

Anyway, Mr. P mentioned the other night seeing that one of his Facebook friends was doing this kind of adventure type race, where there is running and mud bogs, and other obstacles that you have to do and he was thinking that sounded pretty damn cool. Then last night the College Kid posted a link to that exact race on my wall (on Facebook) and with that, begins our adventure with more adventurous racing. Warrior racing, as you were.

So, knowing that I have NO upper body strength to speak of and there are a plethora of things to get over in those type races, I googled the best way to gain upper body strength. Any guesses? Fancy equipment? Personal trainer? no and no. Good, old fashioned push-ups. YUCK.

So today I started the push-up workout recommended. Today 3 sets of 10 push-ups. Rest 48 hours. Then 3 sets of 11 push-ups. Rest 48 hours. Repeat adding one rep each time. After two weeks, rest goes to 24 hours. Repeat infinity. I was actually able to do a total of about 14 "real" push ups and I did the rest girly girl style. Then I did some planks. For good measure. Dude, core/arm stuff is HARD. I would way rather run. So, not to forget good, old-fashioned cardio, I am heading to the park for a run in my new running shoes and cool Nike top.

OH, did I mention our first venture into these races? NEXT Saturday, after we do a regular old 5K. I am both excited to try and scared that I will fail, be too fat to get over some obstacle, and/or look like a giant loser out there with all the fit young things.

That just means I have to try, right?

15 comments:

Penny said...

I think I want to do it too! Teddy said he didn't think I'd like the town Easter Egg hunt (and I agree)because the "big" kids would be too rough. I just wonder if doing both on the same day (right after each other) will be fun. should we just pick one? Or are you commited to doing both?

Penny said...

Oh and my upper body strengh is TERRIBLE! I can only do "girl" push ups...

Kate said...

I JUST started working out and so far, I'm walking and then running (for like 60 seconds before I want to die) but I KNOW that I have to do some upper body and core stuff. Thanks for the reminder that I don't need to do anything fancy.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

That Warrior Dash looks like a blast. I looked it up in Chicago and we're out of town camping the weekend it's here. Wah! Pretty please take photos - I think you'll have a blast!

Anonymous said...

My trainer is doing something called Muddy Buddies which sounds like so much fun. You relay between running and biking with a partner, and at the end you have to crawl through a mud pit. I'm not allowed to run because of Lefy & Righty (my knees) or I would love to do it.

Push-ups are the best. They are just a no-nonsense exercise that gets the job done. There is a 100 push-ups thing that is kind of like Couch to 5K, and also there are lots of variations once you get the push-up mastered. It took me a few years to get a decent push-up going! (But I wasn't doing them every day because I'm not a WARRIOR).

Shelley said...

I have to say that the Warrior thing looks crazyfun! I have been saving a pair of old workout shoes for a mud run - I hear that you sometimes even lose your shoes in the mud! Cannot wait to hear about your adventure this weekend!

Penny said...

Oh! Can we register as a 4 person team? FUN

lastchanceivf said...

We did Muddy Buddy several years in a row and it is awesome! Especially the mud pit, naturally. I have horrible upper body strength right now and.must.work.on.that. You are inspiring me again with the push ups!

kilax said...

How cool that you are doing the warrior race! I have heard about those and they sound so cool :)

Lucy said...

I hate push ups!! I tried the WALL push ups, which are not as bad and still couldn't handle it!
Good Luck!

Unknown said...

Those are all great goals!!!
I'm going to have to start working toward something like that - I hate working out just for the sake of working out - I like you way of doing things much better.

Not Your Aunt B said...

LOVE those races! So FUN! We want to do more, but in the area there are only a handful (and one- Muddy Buddy- involves mountain biking which I do not do as I am a klutz!). They are pretty expensive here and we would have to pay for a sitter as you can run with your kids in the jogger. But WAY FUN!

Do the Hundred Pushup challenge. There's a link on my page. I have never completed it, but I did get up to doing 72 pushups in a row. When I started I think I could do 7-8 maybe. It's AWESOME! And you notice your arms getting toned by the second week. I do want to re-start it and finish it. I also need to get back to working out, but that's another story.

Anonymous said...

so depressing that this is the only/the best way to get upper body strength. i can barely do them the girly way. and even then i can only do, like, 2.

creative kerfuffle said...

i think those races sound pretty cool. for people who like to run (not me). one of my friends runs marathons and his goal is to run one on every continent. he ran one 2 years ago in antarctica! yes! the pics were awesome. he's also ran on the great wall in china, another in brazil and i bet he'll be doing that rome one in 2012.

Nishant said...

How cool that you are doing the warrior race! I have heard about those and they sound so cool :)
data entry india

 
Creative Commons License
TheHotchPotchery by hotchpotchery.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.