Friday, May 27, 2011

Should I stay or should I go now?

I am struggling. Struggling with my eating. Struggling with getting my exercise. Struggling with Mr. P's disdain for his job. Struggling with my own disappointment in how my job is going. UGH. The horrible part of my struggling is that my life is actually really, really good. I have everything I need and most of what I want.

I love the town where I live. It is a college town. It is OUR college town. I have friends here. My whole (just about) family lives here. I am settled in at my job. I make good money.

HOWEVER, there is an opportunity. The one school I said I MIGHT be willing to leave my school for. It is in bigger city that we love. It is ON water (as opposed to 4 hours away). The school would appreciate my work and give me many opportunities to really further my career. The pay increase would give Mr. P the opportunity to peruse his options.

I would have to give up tenure. I would be leaving a KNOWN for an UNKNOWN. My kids live here. My sister lives here. My nephew(s) live here. If I wanted, I could basically go through the rest of my career collecting my check and teaching two classes a semester.

I don't know. I just.don't.know. Believe me I know that I am trying to figure out if I want to give up my good life for a different good life. I know I am lucky to get to make this type of decision, but damn I am struggling with it.

6 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

oh hotch. what a dilemma. especially w/ the people you love (and one on the way) being there. nobody can really offer any good advice because it's something you and mr. p have to work through. and, i know how HARD you worked for tenure...BUT...if both you and mr. p are not happy w/ your jobs---which account for a big part of life---that's saying something. how far away would it be? i mean could you visit on weekends or periodically or is it across country? good luck my friend.

Anonymous said...

Life is too short to be unhappy or unfulfilled. Take a leap and embrace your future!

Jen L. said...

Look at it this way--maybe all the hard work you've done where you ARE was preparing you to go to this place! (OMG, forgive that horrifically constructed sentence, but you know what I mean!) Follow your heart. You've got the smarts to make a good choice, so let your heart lead you. How many chances like this do you get in life?

MyTwoLines said...

Do you have a deep down gut feeling one way or the other? I say trust it.
But I'm a super indecisive person and always want some outside force to make the decision for me so I understand the struggle.
But the opportunity most definitely sounds exciting....

Life is suffering sometimes, no?

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I say only you (and Mr P) really know the answer to this decision. It sounds like you could be happy regardless of what you choose. I guess one question to ask yourself is whether you'd have any regrets making one decision versus another. From my perspective, it seems like you can't go wrong!

Shelley said...

Tough decision. How far away would the new place be? The only thing I can add is you probably shouldn't base where you live on where your kids are living since some day they may graduate, get jobs and move. (of course we keep thinking we should move to the Plano area now that one son is working/living there...).

We are the jumpers - we go for it when it comes to making the big moves. It's challenging, and it's tough to not know a soul in a new town, but we've really not had any regrets. Good luck.

 
Creative Commons License
TheHotchPotchery by hotchpotchery.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.