Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Sunday, July 10, 2011
So far, my research summer support has paid for the following accomplishments:
- I have watched every episode of The Office.
I never watched it originally because it made me SO uncomfortable. I get embarrassed by characters on television. I have to turn away or change the channel. I watched on HULU and when I needed a break, I would switch to something less stressful for me, like Law & Order: SVU.
- I have mastered all crops (except for one) on Farmville.
- I have committed to THREE new research projects.
- I have committed to teaching an extra course this Fall, which needs to get prepped.
- I have spent 18 days at the beach.
- I have seen: Super 8 (Twice. I loved it.), Hangover 2, Bad Teacher, Horrible Bosses, Transformers 3.
- I got all the way through Couch to 5K week 7, then regressed back to week 4. I wanted to run a half in November, not looking that good.
Now the time is starting to get REALZ. I have 5 weeks until my Fall semester starts and I will be teaching two master's courses (same course, two sections) and a freshman course. In the mean time, we are going to Texas for 6 days and Denver for 5 days. Plus I will certainly spend a good deal of time celebrating my birthday and I am going to Biloxi to see Kathy Griffin. I still need to get significant work done on some research, but instead of working on that tonight, I decided it would be MUCH better to bake this cake and watch Toddlers and Tiaras on Netflix.
Looks like I will be teaching every summer from here on out since I took this summer way more OFF than I really should have. DAMN.
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
I know that in his mind it likely was the only alternative, but I HATE this. I am so sad for his wife and boys and so damn angry at him, and we weren't even close. But still. SELFISH. STUPID. SELFISH some more. I ache for his 8 year old that now has to carry this weight that his DAD felt was too heavy.