Monday, October 24, 2011

HAUNTED, I tell you. HAUNTED.

A few months ago, Tammie posted a book review for the book, "We need to talk about Kevin". I tend to like a lot of the same stuff, so I downloaded it to my Kindle App on my phone and I started reading it. At first, I thought it was kind of talky just to be talky. Longwinded descriptions of things I didn't care about because I wanted to get to the good stuff. I eventually settled down and really read it. I finished it quite some time ago, but I keep re-reading parts of it, namely the end. Over. and Over.

I have never read a book that has haunted me. When I speak too crossly to one of my children, or not crossly enough. When I am overly critical to a student, or I let something slide. When I let Mr. P out of my sight without telling him something good, or fail to really push my perspective when I feel like he isn't listening. All the time, I think about this book. I know it is fiction. I know it isn't real. But it COULD be, and it could have been me if my kid had a different temperment...my kid was a complete lovey dovey butterball, but if she hadn't MADE me be her mother at times, I wonder what might have been.

I have read several good books, seen a few good movies and even a play. But still, I always feel like I need to talk about Kevin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

im so glad you liked the book. its stuck with me too and i think about certain parts of it almost daily.

are you going to see the movie when it comes out? i really want to.

as a side note: at the toy store i work at we sell a fake bow and arrow set thats kinds of nerf like. i cant sell it. i never recommend it. it makes me think of kevin.

Shelley said...

I read that book quite a while ago, and it was so disturbing that while I wanted to recommend it, I found myself NOT wanting to subject anyone else to reading it...so I completely understand your haunted feelings.

Alice said...

omg, i'm so intrigued now!! i have two 20 hr flights coming up (HAHA KILL ME) and i'm thinking this book will be added to the kindle list!!

 
Creative Commons License
TheHotchPotchery by hotchpotchery.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.