Wednesday, April 8, 2009

and so. we wait.

I just turned in my 'book'. It is a 3-ring binder that contains all my course syllabi, grade distributions, student evaluations, publications and working papers. Over the next few weeks the 11 people in my department who have tenure will peruse it, then will cap off said perusals with a very closed-door, hush-hush, secret squirrel meeting to discuss those of us who do not have tenure. The tenured will then vote on whether they think us untenured are making satisfactory progress towards getting the tenure. Then, in a month or so, I will have a meeting with my department head and I will get the 'results'. Let me tell you, I so feel for those American Idol contestants...just TELL ME ALREADY.

So now I am a bit shakey and my insides are mush. You know what the fun part is? This is just the 'prelims'. I put together my 'book' for realz in September.

Now that I have turned it in, there is nothing left to do but wait. So, OrangeUGladys and I are about to head out to jog around campus and try to remember why I ever thought academia was a good idea.

11 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

aigh! i hate waiting. that really blows. though you've explained it i really do not understand the tenured thing. it sounds so subjective. and the part about students rating you? i've said it before, it's insane. i hope this month flies by for you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations that you turned it in! That must be something that at least it is out of your hands for awhile. tracy

Swistle said...

"Secret squirrel meeting"---the funny bright spot in what sounds like a DREADFUL ORDEAL.

DAVs said...

Oh I'm so nervous for you! Not because I don't think you can get it/totally deserve it, but the angst of waiting just totally and completely sucks. But you're right--it's outta your hands now. Hope your campus jog was picturesque and a reinforcement of why academia is such a good idea!

Jen L. said...

Good vibes coming your way. The wait is the part that blows.
If you want help putting it together in Sept., let me know. I live for putting books together. It's why I'm a good stage manager. (well, that and my dazzling inter-personal skillz...) I've only done them for theatre, but I'm sure I could figure it out. Or I could just bring the beer. ;)

W said...

I suck at waiting. While I don't think the waiting is the hardest part, I do think it is the most uncomfortable. I hope you and Gladys enjoy this bonding time.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

It's a huge milestone you just passed. I hope you got for lots of runs to celebrate how far you've come!

20somethingfatty said...

Good luck! - both on making it through the long wait and receiving positive results!

Alice said...

ugh, the waiting must suck... but doesn't it feel awesome to have done your part and turned it in?? hope the runs are FAB!

kilax said...

That sounds so nerve racking! But are you happy to at least have this book out of the way? It sounds like a lot of work!

Astarte said...

That sounds TERRIBLE!!! Waiting around while everyone you know talks about you and judges you?!?! It sounds like high school slambook time!!!! YUCK!

However, I am totally confident that it will go swimmingly and you will be named Tenure Queen very shortly.

 
Creative Commons License
TheHotchPotchery by hotchpotchery.blogspot.com is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.